Monday, April 14, 2008

Discomfort

Jamie was walking down the hill on campus the other day, and some girl stopped her suddenly and said, "I have to tell you, your hair is beautiful"..and continued to GUSH on until Jamie was thoroughly uncomfortable.
I was walking to work on campus wearing a purple shirt and some chick walking in the opposite direction yelled out "great color!!!" in passing...yelled..didn't stop...didn't even give me a chance to respond..just yelled. Thanks for the compliment random weirdie, but honestly, what do you want me to do?... what is the correct form of social grace to respond to this breed of BYU weirdie? Thank you for the compliment, but I don't know you, we aren't in close proximity, and we are in public.

There have been many other examples of this yell-compliment/stranger-talk that I would love you all to share with me...I know you have them....maybe I will compile a book.

Sidenote: On this same daily walk from class to work, I often see heely boy...rolling along on his sweet heely shoes that, in my estimation, were not marketed toward college-aged boys. Nonetheless, he weaves and rolls in between the hoards of students making their way in between classes. Maybe he is friends with cloak boy? Cloak boy is a Provo all-star now though..what with all of the daily universe coverage he received...but that is another post altogether.....

Back to the subject at hand, did I miss some fireside that mentioned yelling out random compliments at strangers? Because, if so, I stand corrected. Otherwise, please don't create any more socially awkward situations for me; I create enough on my own.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that happened to me the other day. i forget what it was but someone yelled a compliment at me. flattered though i was, my stranger danger radar began beeping profusely and i almost had to bust out my deadly can of pepper spray/tear gas complete with UV identification fluid. almost.